Thanksgiving means the warmth of being surrounded by family and friends! For some, however, that warmth may be more literal as they experience a home fire during the holiday. Here is some Thanksgiving fire statistics and some simple safety tips that can help keep you safe during the holiday season!
Thanksgiving Fire Statistics:
- Almost two thousand residential fires are reported to fire departments nationwide on Thanksgiving Day.
- Thanksgiving Day fires cause about 5 deaths, 25 injuries, and 21 million dollars in property damage each year.
- At 69 percent, cooking is the leading cause for Thanksgiving Day fires.
- The leading factor that causes Thanksgiving Day cooking fires is the misuse of a material or product, such as keeping flammable objects too close to heat sources.
- In 20 percent of Thanksgiving Day fires, there were no smoke alarms present in the home.
- Having a smoke alarm reduces your chance of fire-related injury or death by nearly half!
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking to monitor and check the food regularly.
- Keep children away from the stove and other dangerous heating sources.
- Keep the floor clear of clutter to prevent trips and falls.
- Do not leave candles or fireplaces unattended.
- Install a smoke alarm near your kitchen and make sure your other smoke alarms are working by testing them and replacing old batteries.
- Unplug any unnecessary appliances to avoid electrical mishaps.
- Avoid wearing loose or dangling clothing when you are cooking so that you do not get caught on something or catch your clothing on fire.
- Keep all flammable objects like potholders and towels away from heat sources.
Contact Advantage Property Services in Corona for all of your California property needs. We offer services like window washing, maintenance, graffiti removal, general contracting, hot water pressure washing, haul away services and more. Let us help get your business or home looking pristine for the Thanksgiving holiday!